.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Friday, September 11, 2009

A day in the life of a ... dental hygienist

Published: Friday, September 11, 2009 1:10 AM EDT
Name: Maureen Hersh
Age: 50
Job title: dental hygienist at a pediatric practice
A typical day: I start each exam by making a quick assessment of the patient’s overall hygiene. I take X-rays before beginning the cleaning, if necessary. Since I see children ranging in age from 2-1/2 to 18, I make sure to explain exactly what I’m doing and what they can expect, so it’s less threatening. By the end of the day, I usually have seen between 30-35 kids.

Biggest perk: When kids come in who have had trouble with their teeth and overall hygiene and I see big improvement. Amazing!
Biggest drawback: There are also kids who don’t change their habits and have poor hygiene. It’s awful to see gingivitis in small children.

The glamorous life: I graduated from Lakeland Community College, and I get asked to give talks to graduating seniors in the same program about what it’s like to be a practicing dental hygienist.

The not-so-glamorous life: On several occasions I have had kids throw up in my chair from the fluoride treatment. I also get a lot of nervous kids, and there are some who come in with dirty, smelly diapers.

Something you do that few would ever guess: Take classes continually. We need at least 12 credit hours every two years and also need yearly CPR certification.

Top-secret information only dental hygienists know: People often don’t realize that their mouths are the key to their entire body. I once had a patient who was having a hard time getting pregnant. I noticed several changes in her mouth and asked her if she was pregnant. She didn’t know but said she had been trying unsuccessfully for months. She went home, took a test, and was pregnant. I knew before she did!

Craziest thing you’ve ever had to do at work: At one of my first jobs, the dentist requested my help in doing an extraction. The patient came in inebriated, and two of us had to hold him down to keep him from moving. Since I was young and intimidated, I didn’t want to say no to the dentist even though I was completely uncomfortable. I quit shortly after.

Something everyone should know about dental hygienists: People who go into hygiene truly care about the health of their patients. Although it’s easy to get burned out, it’s a great profession.

BROOKE ENGEL, Freelance Writer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home