.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Sunday, December 16, 2007

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY TWO FRONT TEETH

Amy Scott, 28, from London, received the ultimate Christmas present from her grandparents – 10 perfect teeth
‘Even as a child, I wasn’t happy with my teeth. I had fluorosis, caused by too much fluoride in tap water, and it made my teeth look discoloured. But my problems really started when I whacked myself in the mouth with my racquet during a game of tennis and chipped my two front teeth. Running to the changing rooms, I cried when I saw my reflection. One of my PR clients was a famous actress and I was due to go with her to a big party a few days later. I was meant to look glamorous, not like I’d been in a fight. I went to see my dentist, but it didn’t sound promising – the repair work might not match what was left of my teeth. I have to look good for my job, so it wasn’t an option. My grandparents used to be dentists, so I rang them for advice, and they said they’d try to find out what the alternatives were.
In the meantime, I had to go to the party. I had a beautiful gown, gorgeous shoes… and teeth from hell. I spent the night hiding behind a glass of wine and trying to keep my top lip curled over my teeth when I spoke. Then I got chatted up. It was fine while we were talking, but as soon as he made me laugh and I flashed my broken gnashers, his face dropped and he said he had to go. I ran out of the party in tears.
My grandparents said it was going to cost about £10,000 to do a good job of fixing my teeth. There was no way I could afford that, especially as I’d just started my own PR business. But they knew how important it was to me and offered to pay for most of it as a very generous Christmas present if I made up the rest from my savings. I gratefully accepted.

I needed to have veneers over my front 10 teeth – you can’t just cover the damaged teeth or they’ll look obvious. I started by having all my teeth whitened so they’d all look the same colour as the veneers. The Smile Studio use a process that brightens teeth by 14 shades, and you can’t drink tea, coffee or wine or smoke afterwards to ensure it works, which was a killer. I hid myself away for two weeks. Then I went to Druian & Spektor cosmetic dentists where they filed down my teeth ready for the veneers. It made me look scary, but then I looked horrific anyway. I had temporary veneers fitted while my new teeth were made, which took about 10 days. Then they filed the veneers off and fixed my new teeth on to the base of my old ones. It sounds scary, but it didn’t hurt at all.
I debuted my new smile at a film industry party. My teeth were so perfect, I felt like a celebrity. I couldn’t stop smiling all night. A week later I was out with friends and one of them brought along his friend, who was cute. As we started talking and I laughed, he said, “My God, you’ve got such a beautiful smile.” I flashed a few evils as my mates started sniggering and saying, “You don’t know the half of it,” to him. But there must have been something magical because he asked me out and we’re still together.
My life has changed since I’ve had my teeth done. On top of the romance, my business is doing really well. While it might be pushing it to say it’s because of the teeth, it’s certainly got something to do with how confident I feel as a result. And the fact I’m always smiling to show off my Christmas present.’
Smile Studio, 0870 7588088, smilestudio.co.uk. Druian & Spektor, 020 7722 1235, londoncosmeticdentistry.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home