.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Avoid fluoride for a happier smile

Why I stopped using fluoride in my toothpaste
For as long as I can remember, fluoride has been pushed on me as a way to keep my teeth healthy and clean. Now, however, I avoid it like the plague. After years of serious teeth issues, avoiding this chemical has been the best decision I ever made.
I was born with remarkably soft teeth and was often prone to tooth decay and gum disease. Every time I went to the dentist I had to get a cavity filled. I was given silver caps on four of my teeth before elementary school. I’ve had teeth pulled. I’ve had braces. Anything that can go wrong with your teeth, you can bet I’ve experienced it. 
I had tried every kind of toothpaste, mouthwash and brushing regime. Out of desperation, I ordered a clay-based toothpaste called Earth Paste off of Amazon. I remembered that clay is supposed to help pull out toxins, and I thought the worst-case scenario was I blow five dollars on some weird toothpaste.
Instead, the best-case scenario happened. My teeth got better. It wasn’t immediate. It took about a month before I started to see results, but, sure enough, they were there.
My teeth were getting whiter by the week. They weren’t as sensitive anymore. It did such good that a cavity I was waiting to get filled actually remineralized! The next time I went into the dentist, they marveled at how healthy my mouth looked.
So what was different? I went to look at the tube of toothpaste, to see if there was an explanation somewhere, anywhere. That was the first time I noticed, in small letters towards the bottom it read “fluoride free.”
Immediately my heart sank. I thought this product had finally been helping me, but seeing those words made me fear it had been hurting me this whole time.
I decided before I threw the toothpaste out, along with my happiness, I would do some research on what exactly fluoride is supposed to do.
Low and behold, I was being lied to this whole time.
Firstly, fluoride has been proven not to affect teeth at all. In a study done by the U.S. National Institute of Health, the scientists found no correlation between tooth decay and fluoride exposure in children. In fact, the topical and internal intake of fluoride were affecting their ability to absorb magnesium, which does create stronger bones and teeth.
Furthermore, fluoride has been linked to many health problems.
According to Mercola, a health and wellness website, “fluoride is an endocrine disruptor that can affect your bones, brain, thyroid gland, pineal gland and even your blood sugar levels.” Fluoride cannot easily leave your system, rather, once you ingest it continues to accumulate in your body. And because there is already uncontrolled doses of fluoride in our water system, the need for it in toothpaste is obsolete. In fact, it’s potentially dangerous.

While we may not be able to control the fluoride in our water systems, there are filters you can purchase that will filter the fluoride out. That being said, the best way to actively lower your intake of fluoride is by purchasing fluoride free toothpaste. While it may seem a bit “crunchy,” I can personally guarantee that it’s worth it. Your mouth will thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home