.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Monday, November 06, 2017

USA - LETTER: Better ways to address oral health than water fluoridation

I am going to make an assumption that fluoride prevents cavities.

I haven’t seen any convincing double-blind studies to confirm that, but to be safe, I use fluoride mouthwash daily and get fluoride treatments from my dentist. So I guess you could say I am “pro-fluoride.” But here is my issue with citywide application of fluoride into our drinking water.
Clean water, in my opinion, is a human right along with clean air and a clean environment. I don’t care for the taste or smell of chlorine in our drinking water, but I know that it kills harmful bacteria and viruses.

And the job of our city is to ensure clean water is delivered to our homes. I can let the water sit out for a while or run it through my filter to remove the chlorine. However, the practice of introducing a co-product, hydrofluorosilicic acid, into our drinking water baffles me. First, this is not pure or pharmaceutical sodium fluoride; it comes as a co-product of industry. Second, there is no way to regulate total dosage in the environment.
The Environmental Protection Agency in recent years lowered the maximum acceptable concentration of fluoride from 1.2 parts per million to .7 ppm. Obviously, dosage matters.

Finally, I trust our elected and unelected officials to promote health and well-being. The cheapest way is not always the best way.

There are ways to promote and develop better dental health that are much better and healthier than mass-dosing our populace.

We have the intelligence to do so.

Do we have the political will?

Robert Lawrence-Markarian,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home