PEOPLE in Runcorn lose more teeth than anywhere else in the region, latest figures reveal.
mydentist patients from Runcorn have had 12.96 extractions for every 100 patients over the last year compared to 12.02 across the north west, according to research.
The UK average is 11.14.
Steve Williams, clinical services director for mydentist, which has around a million patients in the region, said: “We’ve seen a surge in the number of patients coming to us who haven’t seen a dentist for five years or more. And we see the impact on their teeth.
“You’re much less likely to lose your teeth if you visit the dentist regularly.
“Research proves common problems such as tooth decay could be prevented in 60 per cent of people if they made regular visits to their dental practice and maintained good oral hygiene.
“Because of this it’s vital that people have access to a dentist that can offer them appointments when they need it and first class care that prevents problems that, if untreated, could lead to tooth loss.”
Top tips for a healthy mouth
1. Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes with a fluoride toothpaste
2. Avoid sugary drinks and fruit juice, they attack and weaken the enamel on your teeth
3. Reduce the frequency of sugary snacks and drinks and if consuming, restrict to meal times
4. Have chewing gum after you’ve eaten to neutralise harmful acids in your mouth
5. Visit your dentist regularly to have your mouth and teeth checked before problems arise