As you may know, Hull City Council is considering launching a public consultation on water fluoridation. At 543 we support this initiative and would like to encourage residents of Hull and East Riding to visit the ‘One Part Per Million’ website onepartpermillionhull.co.uk
and find out more about why water fluoridation is so important to our dental health.
Here’s a brief overview:
- Hull has a very poor dental health record – the worst decay rates in the area and much higher than the average for England. 37.8% of 5-year-olds in Hull have experienced tooth decay, compared with just 27.9% across England.
- Fluoride occurs naturally in water. Fluoridation simply involves raising the naturally-occurring fluoride levels to one part per million (1ppm), a level at which it provides optimum dental protection.
- Water fluoridation reduces decayed, missing and filled teeth in children by an average of 40%.
- Fluoridation benefits everyone – particularly the old and the young.
- Those in deprived areas, with the greatest decay rates, benefit most, so dental health inequality is reduced.
- Contrary to the claims of anti-fluoride campaigners, there are no known adverse health effects at the low levels proposed (1ppm).
- Fluoridation has the full support of not only dental professionals including the British Dental Association, but medical professionals as well, with endorsements from the British Medical Association, the UK Faculty of Public Health and the World Health Organisation.
- 25 countries around the world fluoridate their water, with around 390 million people benefiting from intentionally-fluoridated water.
In the USA they've reduced their ppm to 0.7ppm because 1ppm was causing fluorosis but getting rid of the white spots is a good money earner for dentists.
Where do they get 40% the York review never found that kind of benefit.
Calcium fluoride - you know calcium good for teeth - it isn't calcium fluoride they put in the water it is a form of acid.
Look up FAN web page one of the best for learning the truth. https://fluoridealert.org/
A quote from a former fluoride
advocate: Dr. Hardy Limeback, D.D.S., head of the Department of Preventive Dentistry for the University of Toronto and president of the Canadian Association for Dental Research:
Dentists have absolutely no training in toxicity. Your well intentioned dentist is simply following 50 years of misinformation on fluoride's safety and efficacy from public health and the dental association. Me too, unfortunately, we were wrong. For the past 15 years I had refused to study the toxicology information that was readily available to anyone. Poisoning our children was the furthest thing from my mind.