.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Parabens in Your Child’s Toothpaste?

Even children’s toothpastes that proudly say they’re fluoride free and safe if swallowed can contain harmful ingredients like parabens. Here’s how to find safer toothpaste for your baby.
Pediatric dentists recommend that parents start brushing their baby’s teeth as early as six months old, just to get them into the habit. We started brushing my 11-month-old son’s teeth when he was around nine months, and he LOVES it! He opens his mouth as soon as he sees the brush. I think the bristles feel good on his swollen gums, since he’s been working on teeth numbers nine and 10 for a while now.
At first we just brushed with water, and a few weeks ago I felt like he was ready for a little dab of toothpaste. The toothpaste went over very well with him, which was a relief. In fact, everything was going great until one evening I idly turned over the tube of Baby Orajel Tooth & Gum Cleanser and scanned the ingredients. What did I see? Parabens. And not just one. There were two different sorts of parabens that I’d been putting into my son’s mouth every single evening for weeks: methylparaben and propylparaben.
...................................................................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home