.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

UK Against Fluoridation

Monday, September 12, 2005

Sensible Dentist

Open Letter on Fluoridation

I have been a dentist for almost 25 years. Upon my graduation from dental school, I, like most of my colleagues, was an avid supporter of water fluoridation. I supported fluoridation because organizations like the American Dental Association endorsed it as a “safe and effective” means of preventing tooth decay in children. I assumed that they had commissioned studies to offer proof of this claim. To my surprise, this turned out to be a totally erroneous assumption on my part.

It has been approximately 10 years since the city of Tacoma began to fluoridate its water. I have examined children and adults drinking this water during that time. What I have seen has made me question the use of fluoride. I have noticed no discernible decrease in decay in children or adults. My practice has not noticed a decrease in the number of fillings that I am placing because of decay. But what I have noticed is that there has been an increase in fluorosis in children, white or brown spots on the teeth indicating that children are being overdosed with fluoride. These fluorosed teeth were actually more susceptible to decay. This prompted me to begin studying the issue. What I found was very little scientific literature supporting that fluoride decreases tooth decay, let alone research that proved it was safe. On the other hand, I found a great deal of scientific literature that raised some red flags in my mind regarding its safety.

While most dentists are proponents of water fluoridation, there are many dentists and physicians who do not support water fluoridation. The majority of naturopathic physicians and chiropractors do not support water fluoridation. The dentists that do support water fluoridation do so based on information they have received from local and national dental organizations such as the Washington State Dental Association and the American Dental Association. These dentists are unaware of the controversy surrounding the issue because the ADA says there is no controversy. These dentists are unaware of the opposing scientific views because the ADA says it is all “junk science”. These dentists are also unaware that the chemical put in drinking water is not sodium fluoride but hydrofluorosilicic acid, a toxic waste by-product of the phosphate fertilizer industry. Pure reagent grade sodium fluoride is no longer used because it is too expensive.......................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home